It can be hard to get excited about email design. But it’s an important part of branding and design for a large number of businesses.
Email design can make or break the messages that you send to potentials customers. Every email needs to have a strong framework and striking design. The good news? It can be easier than you might think!
What Makes a Great Email Design?
If you are looking for a magic design formula, you won’t get it here. There simply isn’t one. However, there are some things you can do to help maximize the impact of your email newsletter design:
- Keep it simple.
- Include a direct call to action.
- Make it responsive.
- Eliminate bells and whistles, including lots of links back to your website.
- Connect the email to your brand’s style and design concepts.
- Copy should be short, to the point, and exciting.
- Keep it in a single column format.
- Relevant information should be above the fold.
- Test it before sending on a variety of devices to ensure that the content and design will look like you intend it to.
Email Marketing Tools
There are different approaches to creating email newsletters. While some designers prefer to code from scratch, others prefer the comfort of 3rd party software (most of which offer custom design features and templates). These options can range in price from free to hundreds of dollars, based on the side of your email list and the frequency of distribution.
Some of the benefits to 3rd party tools are great list management and analytics features. Most also include responsive email newsletter frameworks for speed of building.
Here are the top 10 options that are pretty widely used and get great feedback from users, according to PC Magazine:
- Benchmark Email
- Campaign Monitor
- Constant Contact
As a consultant, entrepreneur and artist, he offers design & marketing expertise to anyone willing to listen to him ramble like a mad scientist. In his spare time, Tom likes to work with his hands – painting works of art, fixing up old cars & old houses.
Check out his LinkedIn profile for more information!